Thursday, June 24, 2010

I Come in Doses

Well A wanted me to go with her to join the kiddos during their weekly Thursday thing, and part of me wanted to, but another part of me realized that their weekly Thursday thing is their weekly Thursday thing.

I big time feel I should be there to help them become good adult humans as much as I possibly can, but I also see that the kiddos just need their "mom only" time as well. Lord knows I had oodles of that when I grew up. And I turned out okay. Right?

If you weren't aware, I'm a relatively new addition to their lives. Transitions are still occurring. Even right now as I type. Like the cache of Nerf guns upstairs or that bouncy suede couch in the living room, I'm just off the shelf according to them. I do not want to overwhelm them in an already overwhelming situation. A needs her time with them to help smooth out any rough edges and kiss all the boo-boos away. For now, I come in doses.

Sure they ask about me when I'm not there, and even tell A they wish I had come with, but part of being a role model is knowing what's best for the kiddos even when it's in direct conflict with what they want. That may actually be "parenting" in a nutshell.

That, of course, doesn't fly when I say "in a minute" to building Lego houses with the boys and they wait me out until I cave. So, there are definitely exceptions to the role modeling rules...

No comments:

Post a Comment