Monday, August 22, 2011

first day of school 2011

Like most posts, I kinda have a point and destination in mind, but usually these things just start off however God wants them to...and they usually end up that way, too.

I just wanted to mention that today was the first time I ever dropped my kiddos off to school for the first day of school! And today was even more special because some of them were attending new schools, which meant milestones and new challenges ahead. I got to be there as they first faced these new obstacles and, I don't know, and without sounding too emotionally unglued, I was touched. It was amazing to see these kids about to learn a whole new level about themselves. I guess I liken it to watching a space shuttle launch. Who knows what they are going to discover this year? With God's help and some guidance from us, these new adventures will benefit them today and for a multitude of tomorrows.

To be honest, I am worried about the influence of others. Because I know negative influences wait around every corner. Evil is everywhere whether you want to admit it or not. But, that's part of the challenge of being human. As we get older, those challenges will get harder when combined with bills, relationships, life...

It's a test of our children, and of us, that we allow all of us to go through. Rite of passage, so speak. We can't hold their hands forever, nor can we expect our hands to be held all the time. I think sometimes we find security in our children. Something we have control over. But, as a parent, I know that's a two-way street. You're either super militant or in a suspended mode of fooling yourself if you think you have total control over your kids. They need to be allowed to make choices, because that helps them hone those "adult" skills for later on in life. And we need to give them that respect to make those choices, and then face the consequences. They will learn cause and effect, which is a priceless lesson to learn. Hopefully, they don't take a liking, or an indifference, to the negative ones. But, you pray for protection and wisdom for them everyday, right? So, no worries there. Right?

I think I am pulling from this past Sunday's sermon a bit. Maybe more than a bit. But, that's okay. Our pastor is wise. God works through him, too, so he knows what he's talking about. And you may not go to my church, so you're none the wiser anyway. Well,  I guess you are now...

That's pretty much all there is for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment