Tuesday, March 15, 2011

ask your mom

Probably quite successfully alienating myself from important decisions being made at the pinnacles of their youth, I have found myself lately answering most questions from the kiddos with "ask your mom."

It works like a charm. They ask a question like "can we ride bikes?" or "can we go swimming?" and I simply point them in the direction of their mom. It's not me being lazy. It's not me not caring. It's just that they're gonna ask her after me anyway so I am simply trying to avoid two conflicting answers. A confused child asks twice as many questions.

A and I are obviously on two different pages in the How to Raise a Child Handbook. Where she's retaking the course for a 7th time for fun, I'm cramming for daily exams from 7 full-time classes. She gets this stuff, knows that the kids won't break if they play a little rough, understands that children are, in fact, messes on wheels. I, on the other hand, even after my time as a role-model-in-training, am still learning the ropes. And while I am an advocate of continued education and believe that you're never too old to stop learning, even more, you learn something new everyday...I know that I am still somewhere in the middle of my class when it comes to a parenting GPA.

But nonetheless and anyhoo...this blog has unfortunately taken a backseat to my trying to Wright Brothers this nonprofit ministry* of ours off the ground. It's got wings and a solid foundation, but we need the state to stamp us as a 501(c)(3) and we'd be in good shape. Maybe even flying shape. That stamp, and then some funds to buy more Bibles and stack dollar bills to pass out. Plus some marketing swag. A fundraiser appears to be in order soon. Well, as soon as we can give people that tax deduction they need for donations...

So, that's kinda where we are. I'm still writing a supernatural thriller. Still doing the nonprofit. Still doing this blog. Still waiting to strike movie gold with a screenplay. But that's life...preparation for the next big thing.

* (see A Couple Bucks & a Bible @ http://www.bucksandabible.com/ )