Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"I send them demons screamin'!"

70 Bibles. Approx. 70 seconds. That's about how fast they went today was we handed out bucks & Bibles to the "VIPs" - what they call the homeless - at Temple of Prayer Christian Fellowship church in downtown Dallas. I'd love to thank Bishop Porter Perry for allowing us to come by and help spread the love, message and Word of Jesus.

We were also super lucky to have a great friend of ours, Brittany - who's also a Director for our nonprofit - and three of her YoungLife crewleaders join us for the ride. They are super awesome at engaging the people and personally ministering to each. Kudos to whoever their mentors are. All of their personal stories about this mission will be on this blog soon. Look for those. I'm serious. Look.

Meantime, I met a man named Jimmy Whitehead, proud father of "the greatest kept secret in college basketball," #24 Jimmy Whitehead, Jr. He plays ball for the Minnesota State Mavericks, who this year made it to the semi-finals in the Division II NCAA tournament before losing out. But no matter, Jimmy Jr's a red shirt freshman, which means he's got time to lead this team to a championship before he eyeballs the pros. And where does Jimmy Sr say he wants him to play? "I'm already here in Texas. He's got his orders. Dallas Mavericks." Nice.

Jimmy Sr served in the Navy during Vietnam, which he says, cut his basketball career short. However, when asked if he can still beat his son in one-on-one he says, "I taught him, but I didn't teach him everything."

See? This is awesome. These are the people who you meet when you step outside your own bubble and venture out into God's world. I was blessed to have met and known Jimmy Whitehead, Sr. We googled on my cell phone and looked up his son's stats and a photo, which looks exactly like his dad. No DNA test needed on this one.

I'm going to make Temple of Prayer a normal stop on our rounds. I'm not sure how often, but I feel it is one of the places God is calling A Couple Bucks & a Bible to keep on the rolodex.

Oh, Jimmy Sr is a street minister as well. He told me, "I send them demons screamin'!"

With enough faith, we all can.



Jimmy Sr and I are sideways... gotta love my cell phone!





The YL Crew...and now part of Team B&B!!!