Thursday, March 3, 2011

planting for a wedding

Who's got a green thumb? I do! Yea, for the very first time that I can recollect, I helped clear out, then re-plant a genuine garden. Of flowers. Not watermelons and stuff. But wait, we did plant strawberries in our own garden on our patio - complete with herbs like Stevia and veggies like peas. But this is me going off on a tangent so...

The garden. The main one. At my soon-be-wife A's grandparents' house. The location of our approaching nuptials. I cut down trees. Trimmed some branches like I was shaping a huge bonzai tree. I always wanted one of those, ever since I saw Mr. Miyagi and his trees. And while these backyard trees weren't mutant oversized bonzais, I was satisfied.

Gardening is fun. Digging holes and shoving plants in them is rewarding. You see the culmination of your work instantly. Not like writing a script and waiting, waiting, waiting for it to do something other than nothing. Not that I'm throwing in my shovel to be a gardener and tossing away my keyboard, but I do like the instant gratification.

So we transformed - I guess is the word - her grandparents' back garden a little bit. And then we planted some flowers and threw down some mulch for the front yard as well. A pretty little "hey there, welcome to the wedding" thing going on. Got to Mr. Miyagi a bunch of trees up front, too.

So I guess...yea, I think maybe that hard work can be rewarding. Huh. Who knew?