Saturday, October 9, 2010

keep the change

Okay. I have been wanting the kiddos to learn that money, she does-a not-a grow-a on-a trees-a. Trips to Target and trips to the dollar store are one and the same to the younger'uns. A dollar Star Wars guy at one store is the same as a $35 Star Wars toy at the next. I mean, why wouldn't they be? They're both the same kinda toy. That's the mentality. Of the kids. And people who have never heard of mark-ups, overhead, monopolies, capitalism and child labor. Can you believe the prices Walgreens and CVS charge for their toys? One word: brainmelt.

So, E always like to vacuum. Pretty sweet, huh? Yea, and he also likes money. The jingly kind mostly. Because two pennies is way better than one dollar. Duh.

If he ever sees change laying around - and sometime just outta the blue - he will ask,"Can you give me money?" To which I usually smile and hand him a dime or quarter or something and off he goes, happy as a clam. (Side note: How does one tell if a clam is actually happy or not?)

Anyhoo...so today. Change on my desk. E spots it. Game over. He wants some. This time, I tell him that money has to be earned. That you must work in order to get money. Trying to lay the groundwork for an honest wage earner in the future here. And since he just vacuumed my office I was like:

"See? And since you just vacuumed in here, you earned this money. Do you understand what I mean?"

To which he sort of nodded and mumbled something, then ran out of the room excitedly yelling out that I gave him money. So...maybe I planted a knowledge seed in there somewhere. He's a smart cookie. He already knows who all the main Star Wars dudes are. Show him a picture, he'll show you a name. Holla.

No comments:

Post a Comment