Sunday, October 3, 2010

a rebuilding weekend

What a weekend. So as a flat tire's on the mend at Discount Tire, and the clock's ticking down to kick-off, we walk into a random Dollar General and see that the only action figure they have in the toy aisle is the exact GI Joe guy I was looking for to give to a friend of mine for his bday because the GI Joe dude's nickname's the same as my buddy's name. It was so random. Like I was willed to go there. I mean because we were getting the flat fixed in the same shopping center as the DG anyway, so we were already placed there.

We thought, "Hey, Dollar General. That's for us." And we went in. It was eerie. I have looked for that toy in three other stores with no luck, and here the dude is, waiting on me. Just chillin'. On the shelf next to a cap gun and a Batman yoyo. (Yes, we already have that yoyo for the kids. Like...three of them.) And, when I scooped the GI Joe dude up...no lie, my and A's fave song by Rob Thomas starts to jam over the speakers. Word.

Speaking of which....drum roll.... It was A's birthday this Saturday - I bought her a Barnes & Noble Nook (she loves it!) - so we celebrated early with drinks and the TX/OU debacle at a buddy's house. Ugh. Could the game have been more disappointing? Let's call it a rebuilding year, my fellow Longhorn fans. We'll call it that and look forward down the road. Never looking back. A. Rebuilding. Year.

Afterwards we headed home with the best intentions of going out to a movie or something - just as long as that "something" was not out into the craziness that was the bar scene in Dallas on Red River Rivalry weekend. The traffic alone...Lord have mercy! And parking? Heaven help me! I've been in the midst of that bar mess many moons ago, and no part of it is and/or was appealing. Anyhoo, that would have been great, catching a movie and a bite, celebrating my girl's big day and all, but...

That night I got a monster - demonic? - headache and it fired off it's torpedo rocket into my brain like Luke on the Death Star and - BOOM! - I was all sorts of out of it. I think A literally performed an exorcism on me to get the pain to go away. It was totally out of left field...no wait. Left space. It was so random, it came from left outer space. Like beyond Pluto outer space.

Sooner than later, with A pulling conduit duty, piping in some Divine intervention, and a couple magic pills called Advil...I was out. Stone cold passed out. I woke up this morning...oddly okay. Like tip-top. No residual aches and pains. Nothing to say I had a hangover attack. Weird stuff.

So, if anyone were to gleam anything from this post...it's that weird stuff can happen - and the Nook from Barnes & Noble is a sweet, sweet gift to give your loved ones. But weird stuff, yes, happens especially when you want to do something good and positive, like take your girlfriend to dinner and a movie for her birthday.

The idea is, keep tossing good and positive into the world anyway. Once enough of that stuff starts to circulate in the air, the bad will start to dissipate. I mean it has to right? Some law somewhere states something about two objects can't occupy the same space at the same time. I either retained that from school - not likely - or I got that from a SuperFriends cartoon - very likely. Gosh, Bruce Wayne is smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment