Monday, November 22, 2010

I know too much about nothing.

In church yesterday, I was thinking about the whole "trying to figure out why God does things the way He does" stuff that people sometimes do. I mean, probably should've been listening to the pastor, but anyhoo...

As I was pondering and trying to rationalize and play devil's advocate and piece things together with the stuff I have in my head from years of learning whatever randomness the world has taught me - I kept getting in my head "I know too much about nothing."

It's funny, because it's kinda true. And while knowing too much about nothing is great for, say, a game of Jeopardy...it's not so much a plus when trying to break God's "code" or decipher what He was saying in the Bible. Worldy knowledge is just that, worldy. Of the earth. Not beyond it.

I talked with A and then came to the conclusion that trying to understand how God works, trying to dismantle the teachings and rebuild them, is like trying to do a complex math equation with a grocery cart and a piece of celery. (We were at Target, saw a cart, there ya go...) Can't be done. And why should it? You wear a watch, but you don't care how it works. It just does. You're (usually) never late. You and the watch are on good terms. If you don't question the watch and how it does it's thing, it's probably best to not question Jesus and...let Him do His thing.

This reminds me of the easiest - and most trite? - thing to say to non-believers and anti-religious types about if there's a watch, there must be a watchmaker...but you've heard that a thousand times, so I won't mention it here.

One more thing. I know my blog journey started out simply about the kiddos and that was awesome. However, this blog was always intended to be just that, my blog journey. The kids are a HUGE part of my life now, but so, too, has become Jesus.

                                                                   Our non-profit efforts.

                                     A couple bucks & a Bible.

                                                            Still doing films and writing screenplays.

And you will see other endeavors on here in the future...because I believe being a role model doesn't stop when the kids aren't around. It's something I work hard to get better at each and every day, even on our off weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment