Monday, November 15, 2010

on the path

John 8

1 but Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.
   2 At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3 The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6 They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.
   But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.
   9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10 Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”
   11 “No one, sir,” she said.
   “Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”

***

We are all sinners. By nature. By birth. Well...by Adam and Eve, but whaddya gonna do, right?

We all have pasts. Some good. Some, not so good. You can't outrun them, but you can overcome them.

That's what I am attempting to do. Walk the path. Practice some What would Jesus do?

It's not easy. It's hard. Real hard. Fighting your natural instincts to become better than what you are now.

I am on the path. Slowly learning again what it means to be a true Christian. Not one who pays lip service to the church and to Jesus on random Sundays and holidays. Did I mention it wasn't easy?

I love Jesus Christ. I love becoming a reborn Christian. The feeling is...overwhelming. In a good way. But, it's hard. Hard seeing others you care about not walking the path with you, and knowing what may happen in the end. It's hard seeing your friends stuck in their same destructive circles over and over and over again, and feeling there is no way to get them out. It's hard looking your 7 God-given children in the face and knowing I'm not yet really their stepdad, and that A and I are, according to the Old Testament, living in sin. (Can I get an Amen for the New Testament!)

I was reminded of that sin yesterday. Someone posted that on our a couple bucks & a Bible blog. On our homeless outreach, it's-not-about-us-it's-about-spreading-the-Word-on-the-street blog! It stung. It stung us. And of course, they left their message of attempted derailment "anonymous." I couldn't help but feel Satan had a hand in that. Maybe he didn't...but doubt was clouding my mind all yesterday anyway, and that was the cherry on top of the gross melted sundae.

I am renewed today. I look at the happy faces on that blog of those people who we met. Who Jesus was reunited with....and something good was done that day. No, something great. And we will continue to spread that "great" in the coming days.

I'm on the path. Looking back at my old life only to wave on my family and friends to walk with me.

I think this blog will be better for it as well.

4 comments:

  1. (crying) ...thank you. this was so encouraging for me today. i love you. you are on the path! ...and i'm going with you. ~A

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH My GOODNESS!! I have no words! And you are right, the persecution you have endured is par for the course. And the living in sin stuff...you know, there's a way to fix that - wanna go ring shopping? ha!!

    1 Peter 4:12-19 (Message Version):
    Friends, when life gets really difficult, don't jump to the conclusion that God isn't on the job. Instead, be glad that you are in the very thick of what Christ experienced. This is a spiritual refining process, with glory just around the corner.
    14-16If you're abused because of Christ, count yourself fortunate. It's the Spirit of God and his glory in you that brought you to the notice of others. If they're on you because you broke the law or disturbed the peace, that's a different matter. But if it's because you're a Christian, don't give it a second thought. Be proud of the distinguished status reflected in that name!

    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks guys! I love when people respond to my posts...keeps me reminded that people DO read these scribblings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brennan and April,
    I'm so blessed to see what God is doing in your lives!! It is awesome to see how much you are growing in your knowledge of God and living it out by sharing Jesus with the lost!!
    I'm with BC and say let's go ring shopping and make it right before God and man. Thankfully God is our judge and not man!! I love that He knows our hearts and everything about us and He still LOVES us!!
    I love reading your posts!! Writing is surely a God given talent you are blessed having!!
    Keep up the awesome work of sharing Jesus with the lost and homeless!!
    Love,
    DB

    ReplyDelete