Tuesday, November 23, 2010

quick take on Solomon

After reading about Solomon, I got this: When it comes down to it, towards the end, it seems that Solomon thought that he was wiser than his own wisdom. His God-given wisdom. That's...um, kinda dumb. How can you be smarter than your smarts? "I'm gonna outwit...myself?"

Sure, at the onset, he was supersmart and on the right path. The man had it going on. He was God's dude. Building Israel into the greatest nation on earth. You know, it's "Golden Age" - quite literally if you read about Solomon's Temple to God, and his palace. Wait, why was God's temple named after Solomon though? Oh yeah..."absolute power corrupts absolutely." Now that's not one of Solomon's Proverbs either...that quote's from John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton. (Um, how many names does one guy need?) Anyhoo...

Turning from God when it was God who hooked you up with the superbrain in the first place, to then go and worship random idols like Elmer Glue's Elsie...come on. Professor here should've taken a cue from all his ancestors and not turned away from God just because the good times were rollin', because the tides ebb and flow, my friends. Ask any surfer or beached whale. You need to continue to glorify Him even when you're getting free cable. Nobody likes an unappreciative giftee. Nobody.

However, I am not anti-Solomon. How could anybody be? Check out his works. I'm just saying it's a bummer the way things turned out. But, they had to. God breathed, and so it was done before it even started. Try to wrap your brain around that sometime. Just sayin'...pack a lunch.

Granted, I'm reading a full-length comic book version - literally! - of the Bible, but I'm learning a lot. The stories are more like "Cliff's notes" versions, but the Words and stories are there. So, it's not like I'm reading a Star Wars comic book. (I did that yesterday. Duh.)

No comments:

Post a Comment