Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"what am I smelling?"

That's what E says all the time. At first, I just thought our lil' dude was curious what he smelt, like when we ask, "Mmm, what's that heavenly aroma coming from the kitchen?" However, nope. That's not it.

Allow me...

"What am I smelling?" vs. "What's that smell?"

These two questions are different down to their very core. While the latter demonstrates, first, the idea that the person knows what smelling is and what different smells mean; and second, that upon you telling them what's smelling up the joint, they will have a their "a-ha, of course, pecan brownies" moment.

The former is vastly opposite. When E asks "what am I smelling?" he is actually seeking to learn from nothing. A blank slate, free of preconceived odiferous notions. He wants to literally know what he is smelling, so down the road, he, too, can have that "a-ha" moment.

I've thought about this a while. With various smells like the orange-y tangerine mixture thing I have in my office, and yesterday at Spaghetti Warehouse for E's 4th birthday lunch when bread and marinara filled the air.

Just figured I'd write about it...