Monday, July 19, 2010

Easy, July. Slow it down.

So it's a little - er, a lot - passed the midpoint mark of July. We've had the kiddos all month so far, and I'm bummed the month is flying away like an old man's hat down Main Street in a stiff breeze.

Sitting here at my desk, just now getting home from a 14-hr long haul at work, I am truly, truly bummed. Did I say that already?

Cool thing? The girls are still awake, and I spoke with J for a few minutes, which was nice. She seems genuinely interested in my well-being and stuff, so this whole "role modeling" thing might be working after all.

Alas, the other two girls didn't peel themselves away from the magic glowing box that has pictures and talks to give their hellos, or even throw me some deuces and a nod - but, hey, who am I to compete with Nickelodeon? And the boys are all out like lights and I'm not waking them up from dreamland, so...I write this and say bummed again. Here it is: bummed.

The upside? Is there an upside? Maybe. The weekends are awesome. I'm like the shiny new bike or an official Red Ryder carbine action two-hundred shot range model air rifle at the bottom of the stairs next to the Christmas tree when they first see me. I'm like the new guy who showed up at the party when everyone's already over talking to everyone else. "Hey, Brennan's here!" They are so happy to see me, and I am so happy to see them.

So, if there is an upside to working all week away from A and that little army, it's the look on the troops' faces come Saturday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment