Monday, July 5, 2010

"We got a hotdog down!"

A plate. A wobbly hand. An arrant hotdog. Pavement.

Somehow, only one call of "We got a hotdog down!" came over the radio yesterday. Only one. Nothing else took a freefall to the ground. Not even a sugar-laden sugar cookie with multi-colored sugar frosting piled a half inch high on top was lost. (And by the way, how ridiculously good and how equally bad are those at the same time?)

But back to the beginning, as we get to my friend's house, we saw that he had invited another couple with their 2 kids. So...

Our 7 + Their 2 + Our friend's 2 = 11 kids

Now we originally thought our friend would have all 5 of his offspring, but most of them were actually spread across the globe, visiting family or being explorers.

So we grilled and hung out. For a while. Until they started begging us to get in the pool. For a bit, telling the kids, "I'm not gonna swim...but your mom, she said she wants to" was a successful toss under the bus of A giving me more time above water, but soon the pull became too great and the sun became too hot...and I dove in.

A little aside...

Okay, so I started picking up the kids and holding them upside-down by their legs the other day. Don't ask me why. They love it. They actually chase me around the house asking me to do it again. This love of an upside-down world carried over the pool.

Back to the adventure...

I tossed in G at least four or five times, into the deep end, off the diving board. Remember he's 7. And just learned to swim in the deep end maybe 3 weeks ago. We may have a little daredevil on our hands.

After the deep end tosses, I was commissioned as a circus freak/guy who tosses kids into the shallow end from the side of the pool. The job came with no pay and potential back problems down the road...but the kids had a great time so I'm cool.

And as the sun set and people began to illegally shoot off fireworks in the nearby skies, we loaded up the truck and rolled out. Off to more adventures...

No comments:

Post a Comment